Thursday, September 6, 2018

NFL Week 1, Predictions, games, and what not

Another NFL Season is upon us.

Full disclosure, I was very tempted to discontinue this. I haven't been into the NFL as much this year, and I haven't been able to focus on it, but here I am. I will try to give it the ol college try.

I have also started a new blog, where I talk about my family/life/whatnot. You can follow along there. It's called Pound Sign Dad. This week, I talked about our lice breakout.

So, on to week 1. Predictions:


First off, not seeing a repeat in Philly. Not with that giant deadly spider on the loose.Unless he suits up at Defensive End.   Someone stole 40K in insects.

NFL MVP: Aaron Rodgers

Comeback Player of the Year: DeShaun Watson
Offensive Rookie of the Year: Saquon Barkley
Defensive Rookie of the Year: Bradley Chubb
Offensive Player of the Year: Russell Wilson
Defensive Player of the Year: Khalil Mack


Super Bowl Winner: I'm going from left field. Minnesota Vikings over Pittsburgh Steelers

I chose that because the only real thing the Vikings missed last season, was a capable QB. They know have a stout defense and a great QB in Kirk Cousins. Watch. Out.

I'm usually wrong, and most likely will be wrong. But, hey we shall see.

Week 1:

Thursday September 6th: 

Falcons at Eagles (NBC) -  The Super Bowl champs are back, with their starting QB. And they look potent. A stronger defense. A strong offense. They could repeat, but hey, repeating is very hard to do in the NFL. They have a big hill to climb with a strong NFC East. They will beat the Falcons, but the lock to win the division, tough to say. Eagles 31, Falcons 20

Sunday September 9th:

Jaguars at Giants (FOX) - An interesting matchup, because I'd like to see how the Jaguars build on their momentum from last season, conversely, I'd like to see how a semi recharged Eli Manning does with an upgraded team and a healthy OBJ. I think the Jaguars have one of the stingiest defenses, and when pressured, Manning has always, always turned the ball over. I like the Jags to steal one on the road. Jaguars 20, Giants 14

Seahawks at Broncos (FOX) - Both teams have questions going into this game. Broncos got a good QB, still a strong defense, but their offensive weapons aren't all that great. The Seahawks, as long as they have Wilson at QB, they are potent. Their defense has been depleted, lot of new faces. So right off the bat, big game for both teams. Seahawks 17, Broncos 10

Redskins at Cardinals (FOX) - Redskins got a new QB and for what it's worth, Alex Smith is actually a good QB. The Cardinals, well they have Sam Bradford, who has yet to really play a full season. Always hurt. This year probably some of the same. Redskins Defense is strong. They should have a good romp of the old Cardinals. Redskins 35, Cardinals 17

Cowboys at Panthers (FOX) - Cowboys, different season, same result. Sure they may make the playoffs, but without ever really upgrading their defense, well 22 years without a Super Bowl is going to happen. Panthers should get a win. Panthers 17, Cowboys 14

Bills at Ravens (CBS) - Neither did much in the offseason to make me think "That's a playoff team." Because in reality, they will both be picking top 12. The Ravens, season after season, have a mediocre offense, and the Bills traded away Tyrod Taylor, so you know, they are all in this season. Ravens 20, Bills 10

Buccaneers at Saints (FOX) - No Jameis Winston at QB, and a hungry Saints team. I think this is going to be the highest scoring game of the day. Saints 41, Bucs 12

Texans at Patriots (CBS) - Know why I am excited for this game? DeShaun Watson. Sure he got hurt last year, but if he can go into the heart of Patriotsland, play a great game, perhaps get a win, it will go a long way in helping this possible playoff team. On the other side, well Tom is Tom, and I think the ol Hoodie is going to come up with a game plan to stop Watson. going to be a close one. Patriots 24, Texans 21

49ers at Vikings (FOX)- Could be looking at two playoff teams here. The 49ers are an unknown wildcard with a full season of a good, young QB. the only question, is the 49ers defense. Will they be able to hold up against a truly potent Minnesota attack? I think that the Vikings are going to win it all, but these games, they have to win. Vikings 27, 49ers 17

Titans at Dolphins (FOX) - Dolphins, all I saw this offseason was hurt, hurt, trade, released. No real additions to make me think they have or will ever close the gap between them and 4th place. The Titans, no real offseason moves, but they still have a good young QB. I think they start the season off with a statement game. Titans 31, Dolphins 7

Bengals at Colts (CBS)  - Seems Luck is back at QB, but like the Cowboys, their defense has not been upgraded much since 2005. Like if anyone thinks the Colts are going to be Super Bowl Contenders, let me tell you about this island I have some land for sale on. The defense is going to be their shoulder injury. Bengals, well, they are okay. No real threat to the AFC. Colts 20, Bengals 17

Steelers at Browns (CBS) - Um, I kinda want to see the Browns win like 9 games this season. They upgraded a lot of positions. They used their cap wisely, and I think they can win 9. The Steelers, well there are some problems with Le'Veon Bell and his lack of showing up. So i am not sure they are going to be great this week. I'm just going to say the Browns are going to win it. Browns 24, Steelers 20

Chiefs at Chargers (CBS) - Chargers suffer the same mindset as the Colts/Cowboys. Lack of defense will continuously kill them. Chiefs are potent. A potential AFC killer if they start to play the way they are designed. Chiefs 21, Chargers 20

Bears at Packers (NBC) - With Khalil Mack joining Chicago and the Packers typically good, this went from a okay maybe I'll watch, to a yeah this is a must watch. I like a healthy Rodgers to wreck havoc, but he has one hell of a defense to face. Packers 17, Bears 7

Monday September 10th

Jets at Lions (ESPN) - We get a chance to see two teams that rebuilt but neither are playoff bound. I want to see what Sam Darnold can do in New York. The Lions defense though, should be able to force the rookie into some mistakes, and the Lions offense can make them pay.  Lions 27. Jets 10

Rams at Raiders (ESPN) - I like what the Rams are doing. They are building a good young team, and in a year or so, they could be Super Bowl bound. The Raiders, well this is Grudens second go round. They've already traded their best defender, Mack, and their offense lost some pieces. All eyes are on Gruden. I think the Rams, steal one on the road. Rams 20, Raiders 14



No comments:

Post a Comment